Comprised of highly compressed Hand Fed Magnesium Oxide (MgO) blocks to insulate solid copper conductors, and sealed tightly with its own inbuilt “conduit” Mineral Insulated Copper Cable or MIC Cable is a natural product for use in Hazardous areas.
As a sealed system it provides a natural and complete barrier to the transit of gas, dust, or explosion. This unique and yet simple combination of natural in-organic, non-ageing materials are manufactured in the UK by Wrexham Mineral Cables using a unique continuous production methodology. The MIC Cable system will naturally, block and STOP, flame, gas, smoke, & heat from using the cable as an escape point form an enclosure, as well as covering all increased safety ExE requirements.
In the global commercial construction market where cost and ease of use are the key decision making influencers, MIC Cable is often seen as over-engineered and a difficult cable type to work with, even on Fire safety-critical application.
In an industry where installer skill levels or product familiarity is low poor installation has been known to result in circuit failures, where MIC Cables generic reputation is further unfairly tarnished as a result of poor installation practise.
All this conspires to drive down the use and demand for MIC Cable, and some would argue at the same time, increase the risk of fatalities through reduced fire safety as a result.
In today’s Hazardous Industry sectors including, but not limited to Oil and Gas, Petro Chemical, & Food processing, it is a cables ability to function safely, and to its maximum ability under extreme operational and environmental conditions which is paramount.
The recognised risks and costs associated with product failure result in a greater respect for, and increased research being done, into a cables true operational performance. Despite an enviable global performance record, often MIC Cable may be overlooked.
- Fact – MIC Cable Systems from Wrexham Mineral Cables are significantly more cost-effective by up to 85% compared to same size Cable, Conduit, ExD connectors, and other Gland systems
- Fact – MIC Cable System from Wrexham Mineral Cables are significantly less complex in component form and therefore less time consuming to install offering a saving to installers, and maintenance contractors.
- Fact – MIC Cable Systems from Wrexham Mineral Cables offer designers/engineers/ installers the chance to maximise available space with MIC Cable sizes and o/d being much smaller than competitive systems or products.
- Fact – MIC Cable Systems from Wrexham Mineral Cables comes with a 30 year minimum lifetime warranty when installed by trained installers.
- Fact – MIC Cable can operate at a contiguous temperature of 250 degrees, significantly higher than its competitors.
- Fact – MIC Cable will withstand and still delivery load when compressed by 65% of its original O/D facilitating excellent resistance to impacts, and speedy maintenance inspections compared to hidden cables.
Wrexham Mineral Cables are pushing the bar still further by pursuing new approval to IECEX to complement its existing ATEX and industry approvals. Currently, Wrexham Mineral Cables hold Sira ATEX Test approval on its cable connector for
- Certification code: Ex db IIC Gb
- Ex ta IIIC Da
- Other marking: II 2G 1D
Over the last 30 years, Wrexham Mineral Cables have supplied cable into a number of well known Blue Chip Clients within the Hazardous Industry including, Aramco, BP, KNPC, Adnoc, and many others.
So what Next?
Wrexham Mineral Cables Business continues to drive forward with the recent supply of its unique TWISTED MIC Cable into the Asian markets. This product offers greatly increased EMI performance.
Made in the UK at the Wrexham factory, this specialist cable not only looks the same at its non-twisted counterpart but physically retains the same compact dimensions, meaning even greater performance with no compromise to size. Its also is terminated utilising the same proven connector type, meaning continuity of knowledge.
As safety and detection systems become increasingly complex, the demands placed on the cable feeding them grow. MIC Cable in twisted form offers all of its traditional benefits in terms of Explosion-proof, Gas resistant, Dustproof and Fire Resistance, mechanical strength and now even higher levels of MI without the need for additional screening and the associated cost and installation challenges.
The future is bright, the future is Mineral Copper Cable
As the company open up new dialogue via new distribution partners worldwide and increased Export Sales resource, it has been delighted by the willingness of strategic design and purchase teams to consider the benefits of using MIC Cable, Nathan Cook one of the Export Team said, “we often find our discussions end up with an open question, namely, take a moment to consider where you might be able to utilise the benefits of MIC Cable in your business tomorrow.”
For more information please visit: www.wrexhammineralcables.com