Dafo has been in business for over 100 years and has always been in the front line of technology engineering and part of regulatory development on a worldwide basis. Dafo was one of the first companies in the world to develop integrated firefighting solutions for vehicles.
Since the start-up of this business back in 1976, Dafo has used many different solutions such as Halon, dry powder, pressurized liquid containers, pressurized tube detection and so on. The overall objective of Dafo has always been to combine continuous improvements with research and development to make our systems more reliable, sustainable and innovative. Over the years Dafo has obtained vast experience and knowledge from our end-user installations, which have been used as a basis for eliminating false alarms and false releases.
Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection supplies fire-detection and suppression systems for:
- buses and coaches
- mining and construction equipment
- forestry and waste-handling equipment
- material and cargo handling (ports included)
- agricultural equipment
Most bus fires start in the engine compartment and surrounding areas. A tested and certified vehicle fire-suppression system in combination with a reliable fire-detection system is the best first line of defence in case of an emergency such as a thermal incident.
Dafo’s vehicle fire-suppression systems are approved as a component with regard to UNECE Regulation No. 107 and P-marked in accordance with SPCR 183.
A low total cost of ownership (TCO) is a key factor for every bus operator. Dafo’s system, with its superior low maintenance frequency and reliability, contributes to increased profitability through less downtime for the operator.
Dafo offers the most reliable and effective fire-suppression systems for buses and coaches as well as Heavy Duty Mobile Equipment (HDME) designed to survive challenging working environments and ensure safety of operation. The systems are designed to mitigate losses due to fire and reduce the impact on investment as well as reducing downtime and increasing the productivity of end users. Dafo’s robust systems not only protect individual hazards within the vehicle such as leaking fuel, hydraulic fluid, lubrication oil and built-up flammable deposits but it is also a system with low life-cycle costs.
The basis of Dafo’s vehicle system is the suppression agent Forrex, which is specially developed to suppress fires in combustion engines. Forrex is highly effective on flammable liquid fires like petrol, diesel and hydraulic oils. The system combines the features of liquid and dry chemical, includes tailormade solutions and offers outstanding flame knockdown and unique protection against re-ignition as it will cool down the overheated engine parts in case of a thermal event.
Dafo’s vehicle system includes a non-pressurized cylinder, which minimizes the risks of injury and potential leakages that normally come with pressure vessels. The non-pressurized system can be installed independently in any direction.
Fire protection of electric and hybrid vehicles
Currently there is no comprehensive solution for fire mitigation available on the market for electric (EV) and hybrid electric vehicles (HEV). However, Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection has developed a full-coverage interim multi-zone fire-protection solution in response to this urgent need. The suppression agent Forrex is used as one part of the complex system and provides effective cooling capacity to slow the fire development, allowing the safe evacuation of passengers. In order to cover all risk areas in an EV or HEV bus, the main risk scenarios are divided into four protection zones.
The different protection zones are then protected in various ways by robust detection and suppression systems – both liquid-based and gas-based solutions. Li-ion batteries are still a relatively new technology and Li-ion battery safety is a recent research area. Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection is leading one of the most advanced research projects called Li-IonFire®, funded under the EU Framework Program for Research and Innovation – H2020 – under the SME Funding Scheme.
As a total risk management service provider Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection has a well proven implementation process in which we work closely with our customers throughout the whole process.
- Prior to any installation of fire-suppression systems, Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection conducts a fire-risk analysis in order to identify potential fire hazards.
- We are continuously increasing our geographical proximity by following our OEM customers in their global expansion and supporting their distributors around the globe. Through our local partners Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection is close to our customers in order to assist them with installation, easy access to spare parts and refilling of extinguishing cylinders.
- The Dafo group today consist of several subsidiaries and Dafo dealers: Dafo Oy (Finland), Dafo US, Dafo Deutschland, Dafo Russia, Dafo Asia, Dafo Spain, Dafo UK & Ireland, Dafo Brasil, Dafo Middle East and Dafo Chile.
- Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection is in the front line of technology engineering by continuously developing new products and services in order to meet the challenges on the market.
- We are currently working with our OEM customers by integrating our systems into their communication protocols.
- Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection is focused on sustainability, meaning environmental sensitivity without compromising safety. Measuring and mitigating impacts from manufacture to end-of-life is of great importance.
Do not compromise safety – contact Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection now!
For further information, go to www.dafo-middle-east.com